Monday, July 12, 2004

During the bbq Amanda came very late because of some fire near her house, and we were all laughing when she said that the strange thing was, it seemed to be coming from the fire station. Yesterday's papers did report a fire, and she was right--it occured at the fire station workshop. Apparently there were no fire engines there. Congratulations to Amanda for having witnessed a rare and embarrassing event.

I got a date for my birthday! Yiling asked me to keep my afternoon free and said she's going to treat me ice-cream at the very nice Hagen Das (spelling correct?) in esplanade. Or rather, she said 'we' so I think Hui Fen's coming along too. So happy that she remembered, although I guess I was rather explicit about it. But honestly, when I said "I'm going to get someone to treat me ice-cream here on my birthday" I really didn't mean it as a hint. As in, the party I was going to coerce was not intended to be Yiling. Thank you so much! (I thank you first, so you can't back out of it=P) Really very touched. I love these little thoughtful gestures.

Uh, come to think of it, I still have Yiling's and Hannah's present plus two nice cards sitting somewhere in my room. I better get them out. We can have a gift exchange on my birthday! Brilliant idea, isn't it?

Sigh I want to call my sis tonight but I want to sleep early too; there's a two and a half hour differential between here and India. Never mind, I shall last it out.

My fishes' home is now complete, and they're now swimming around doing nothing. Maybe I shall create another earthquake soon, though it's quite a pity. It's nicer than before; the slope is neater and the circle is more, um, circular. It was quite funny watching them at first because they kept changing their minds, they were shifting the pebbles in and out under the log like they weren't quite sure where to put them.

I realised the Judith was right--my parrot fish are HUGE. This realisation came after my mum came across smaller (quite significantly smaller) parrot fish being sold at the aquarium for $88. (The small ones are about $2 to $5, so $88 is considered very big). Of course my mum sniffed at it and commented that they were half the size of ours. After that, my sister joked that we could sell them both for $888 each. The lucky red fish! Will give long life, good health and good luck.

I was thinking about the theory of evolution when another question about God popped into mind. If God created man, who created God? If we can accept that God just existed, then why can't we accept this at a lower level: that man just existed?

I think I can never take up a religion because I think too much.

No comments: